Monday, October 11, 2010

Batik Bags...Diva Dish #4

This was another new technique for me...the kids had a lot of fun with it! I learned about it here on Little Page Turners. This blog has some fabulous ideas to share with your little ones...I wanted to do one or two of her themes over the summer but I never did get around to it. I was a little busier than I expected this past summer!

Anyway, this is my example...I used Tacky Gel Glue to outline my design as shown below.
And all of the girls did the same...then we watered down acrylic paint and went to town...Everyone did something different (I love that!)Here is Sarah's before we removed the glue (the glue creates a resist...)And then I soaked the bags in warm (almost hot) water for about 20 minutes. This removes the paint and softens the glue. Then use a nail brush or something else to scrape the glue off (I used a scraper from Pampered Check, I love those things!)
And here is our final product...you need some time to do this one as it takes about 5-6 hours for the glue to dry before you can paint the fabric. I am glad we did these on the totes as I find the bags are a bit stiff now...but you could also use it for a decorative pillow!

Enjoy!
Heather



No comments: