Thursday, June 25, 2009

Nobody's Perfect...

So...I had to make cake for 100 people recently...a Canada Day Theme. Easy enough right? Wrong! Here are the challenges...
  1. These were in the form of 2 sheet cakes - Not my favourite thing!
  2. First Sarah & Simon were sick, then Martin and finally I became quite ill the day before they were to be picked up.
  3. In my delusional state I had trouble making my Maple Buttercream.
  4. I was weak and uninspired...and sad that I just didn't have it in me to do a better job.
So, I took no photos and sent the cakes off with my client assuring her that the flavourful cakes would more than make up for my lackluster decorating. You see she asked for 'healthy' cakes...an interesting request. So, I made an Apple Spice Cake with Penuche Icing and a Maple Cake with Maple Buttercream. I toted the value of using apple sauce instead of oil and the wonders of maple syrup.

Well, I got this note yesterday;

Hello Heather

Just to let you know that both your cakes were a great success. I have received numerous compliments from our staff. Even a staff member who is regarded as our agency’s expert baker, was “wowed”. Many have requested the recipes. Would you be willing to provide them to me with the along with the write- up about the alternative ingredient health benefits? The Wellness Committee has a internal website for recipes and I will post them on behalf of your business.

It was a pleasure doing business with you.

So, as promised...even if I didn't deliver in looks we've got flavour! I guess it's time to figure out this sheet cake stuff...I just don't know, I love multi-tiered cakes and cupcakes...buttercream is just not my friend! ;)

Enjoy!
Heather

No comments: