Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A day late and a tart short...well, almost!

Well, it was a close call for us this week...(sorry I didn't get this posted last night but being 34 weeks pregnant and hitting high temperatures of over 40C with humidity sent me into hibernation!)

Nothing fancy here...a lovely summertime dessert that everyone loved! Thank you for choosing this one Marie! It was fabulous...well, what we got to eat of it anyway. You see...I made the tart first thing yesterday morning and set it out to cool. I went to school with my daughter to do a Father's Day Craft with her class (more on that later) and came home to a tart shell that had been ravaged by our 3 year old son!!!

There was still enough for the rest of us to enjoy and I do have to say his behaviour for the rest of the day was quite remarkable!!! ;) Not that I think he will stop himself the next time he feels 'entitled' to a treat but he was pretty sad about not enjoying the tart (with strawberrries) like the rest of us last night!!!

Ooops, almost forgot! My only substitution was the butter on this one...easy as pie in our lactose free house!


Now, as an added bonus...we went to a BBQ on the weekend and I managed to scrape together the Peanut Butter Torte. YUMMY!

My husband has been after me to make this one since he saw all of your beautiful photos on-line weeks ago! So, with some help from Donna at Spatulas, Corkscrews and Suitcases I figured out how to create a lactose-free version of Dorie's Peanut Butter Delight!!!


Our substitutions included;
  • 1/2 cup PC Brand Chocolate Chips
  • 4 tbsps Earth Balance Buttery Spread (rather than butter)
  • 4 cups Cool Whip (to replace 2 cups of Heavy whipping cream)
  • 1/2 cup Soy Yogurt (to replace 1/2 cup Heavy whipping cream for ganache)

The result? Well, it firmed up but next time I would definitely freeze it rather than keeping it in the fridge. It was rich alright but still amazing!!! If you want to join in on the fun check it out at Tuesday's with Dorie.

Yummy! Enjoy!
Heather

5 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

Wonderful job on this.

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Both? Both and they look this good? Way to go!

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Zakia / Avenue Z Desserts said...

great job on both!!!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Two Dorie recipes in one week! You're ambitious. That crust is delicious, so I understand completely why he nibbled at it!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jaime said...

both your tart and PB torte look great!